Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Coding Books

I love reading books... Plain and simple... In particular, if I want to get up to speed on something, or even just for a refresher... Books are a great way to go.  The problem is, there are countless books... So its tough to find the one worth diving into. (Reading a book is a large time commitment after all!)

So I'm going to reserve this page to be a place holder for the books I've read... Now I'm not saying these are the best, but for the most part, I think they were pretty helpful!  Happy reading!

Book List


  • C# In Depth, Second Edition by Jon Skeet
    • Fantastically simple and yet informative... I reference this text constantly and find that my programming skill increases just by owning it.  Anyone who uses StackOverflow will recognize the name.  He covers several techniques and features of C# and gives many overviews of the evolving language.
    • I read the second, however at this point the third is out.  I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.
    • I also follow Jon's blog... And would say if you're not already, you should.
  • Async in C# 5.0 by Alex Davies
    • This was a very quick read that gave good insight to how the Async/Await keywords were implemented, why they are useful, and when to use them.  When I read the book, the keywords were new and a bit foreign.  I felt up to speed and ready to use them after reading the text.
    • If you still feel like Async/Await is a bit strange, then this is definitely a book to check out... However, if you are comfortable with the .NET team offering you a tool that magically makes code run in parallel... then you can probably get by without reading it.

  • Software Architecture: Foundations, Theory and Practice by Richard N. Taylor; Nenad Medvidovic; Eric M. Dashofy
    • I read this book for a masters class, and we only covered the first 7 chapters.
    • The book is DEFINITELY a textbook, and found many sections VERY slow.
    • The book has very little code and mostly emphasizes the importance of strong management...
    • I can't say I would recommend it to a coder, as it's more for someone who wants to manage coders.

  • Java Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz; Tim Peierls; Joshua Bloch; Joseph Bowbeer; David Holmes; Doug Lea
    • I REALLY enjoyed this book.  It offered several strong insights and I think is a good read even if you don't plan on programming in Java.
    • It presents several ways of thinking in parallel, and several pitfalls that coders fall for.
    • I keep this book as reference, and plan to read it again soon just for a refresher.
  • Data Structures and Algorithms Using Java by William McAllister
    • This book was fantastic! It presented great detail but never went overboard.  It's definitely just a refresher if you're already familiar with basic data structures and their corresponding algorithms, but still worth a read.
    • Covered linked lists, queues, stacks, hashes, graphs, sorting and more. (All pretty basic, but great to reference from time to time)
    • I find myself coming back to this book often...
  • Hadoop for Dummies by Dirk deRoos
    • This is the book I'm CURRENTLY reading and am on chapter 11 of 19.
    • While I kind of hate the name, I think the books has presented quite a bit of basic knowledge about Hadoop.
    • The book seems a bit more oriented to the IT and maintenance side, but still presents the usage.
    • Mostly gives overviews to the different Apache projects that are linked to Hadoop and they're intentions.
    • I don't think I could finish this book and claim to be able to use Hadoop... But I think it's still worth reading, as it is giving me a well rounded view of the Hadoop project and its history.

More to Come!

As I said before, I will continue to add to this list as I read books! If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them! Happy reading!